CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool steel, TiN, Ti coat, Cobalt, Carbide.

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2002-01-29 14:01:45 UTC
In a message dated 29-Jan-02 10:30:03 Central Standard Time, ccs@...
writes:

> For threading, turning
> non-ferrous materials, and anytime you need a really, really sharp
> tool (carbide is too brittle so the edge can never be as sharp) HSS
> can't be beat.

This is a myth started by old men who never wanted to invest in the necessary
diamond-grit wheels necessary to dress carbide! A good carbide insert,
"whetted" or not, can turn Rockwell-60 hard shafting with a mirror-finish
(when necessary). HSS is not any harder, so it won't even begin to do so!

Sharp, TiN coated carbide will turn "mild steel" at least as beautifully as
HSS!

The idea of NOT having at least a HF grinder-motor with a diamond-bell on at
least one end is like having only a foot-treadle to power a lathe! Brazed
carbide-tipped PRC tooling is OK for grinding a "custom" now and then, but I
have never seen one yet that "came" sharp enough to satisfy, even if right
shape! That is, they ALL need at least whetting on a good diamond-wheel!
And I am NOT a wizend, experienced old machinist! (Old, maybe, but wizend?
Nah...)

Jan Rowland

John Heritage-UK 2002-01-29 08:22:35 UTC Tool steel, TiN, Ti coat, Cobalt, Carbide. ccs@m... 2002-01-29 08:26:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool steel, TiN, Ti coat, Cobalt, Carbide. Paul Amaranth 2002-01-29 08:47:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool steel, TiN, Ti coat, Cobalt, Carbide. JanRwl@A... 2002-01-29 14:01:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool steel, TiN, Ti coat, Cobalt, Carbide.