CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/EMC Computer Config ?

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-08-21 09:07:29 UTC
Hi Hugh,

----- Original Message -----
From: <currinh@...>

> I'll install a hard drive which can be
> removed. A real slick system allows an
> internal hard drive to be removed and
> another to replace it. You power down,
> remove the hard disk, replace it with
> another, power up and boot from the new
> disk. I'll use this to go between linux
> and DOS if I need to. It allows a linux
> system on one drive and DOS on a second
> without dual booting. I think I'll have
> enough trouble with linux without trying
> to implement dual booting.

I would go for a dual boot system with 2 hard drives wired in permanently.
Its very little extra trouble setting up LILO to give you the option of
either system and it does mean that you can easily transfer files from one
system to the other or even just work on the same file with either system.
This is particularly useful if you use a mixture of DOS/Win and Linux
programs for drawing and G-code generation.

> I wanted to keep it
> as simple as possible, I can add hardware
> once I have it running.

I would also put in all the hardware you might think you will need,
particularly a LAN card, right at the beginning. Its far easier to let Linux
autodetect and set up hardware like this than to have to install it manually
later on. Also, you might consider the Mandrake 7.1 release of Linux - it
seems to have a much better installation system than Red Hat 6.2. Having
said that, both these failed in trying to install a new system on a computer
I'm playing with at the moment but for reasons I just can't understand,
Definite Linux 7.0 - another RedHat clone, installed perfectly in about 10
minutes!

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

Discussion Thread

bfp 2000-08-20 22:45:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/EMC Computer Config ? Matt Shaver 2000-08-20 23:27:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/EMC Computer Config ? Ian Wright 2000-08-21 09:07:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/EMC Computer Config ? Jon Elson 2000-08-21 12:34:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] linux/EMC Computer Config ?