CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 80v power supply

on 2000-08-21 13:41:21 UTC
Ron,

I think that if you use a triac dimmer, you'll still see the peak
voltage, you'll just get conduction for a smaller part of the AC cycle,
so less available current. You might consider using a "bucking"
transformer, like a 24v secondary, to lower the voltage. If you had
several (3) 24v xfmrs, you could hook them up in series.

Alan

Ron Ginger wrote:

> As I noted in another note, Im getting into servo motors! My first
> problem is that the motors Ive found are 80v, 4Amp motors. I have not
> been able to find an 80 v supply.
>
> So, it seems to me that since the power line is 120 v I shuld be able to
> do a simple power supply. Suppose I took a light dimmer- the common
> triac variety, and hooked its output to a bridge rectifier, then to a
> filtetr cap. I should be able to adjust the dimer to the right value to
> hold the output voltage to 80v.
>
> I understand the issues of not haivng an isolation transformer here, but
> I can work with that, Will the basic triac work to give me a lower
> output voltage, or will it be to badly regulated?
>
> Any suggestion for a simple regulator that will work here?

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-08-21 13:41:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 80v power supply Ernst Aardal 2000-08-21 13:45:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 80v power supply Darrell 2000-08-21 16:27:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 80v power supply Jon Elson 2000-08-21 16:32:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 80v power supply