CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 80v power supply URGENT!

on 2000-08-21 14:30:36 UTC
Ron, Do not run the drive from a non-isolated power supply!!! The
drive case is at ground potential (internally shorted to terminal 1),
so the encoders would also grounded via a sheild. This would be at
line potential. More than likely your machine is grounded to earth
ground.

The result will be a destroyed drive, encoder, possibly your PC as
well. You definitly will blow a circuit breaker, melt wires and
permanently frizz your hair if you are unfortunate enough to be
touching anything when you throw the switch.

DON'T DO IT!! Don't even think about doing it.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ron Ginger <ginger@s...> wrote:
> As I noted in another note, Im getting into servo motors! My first
> problem is that the motors Ive found are 80v, 4Amp motors. I have
not
> been able to find an 80 v supply.
>
> So, it seems to me that since the power line is 120 v I shuld be
able to
> do a simple power supply. Suppose I took a light dimmer- the common
> triac variety, and hooked its output to a bridge rectifier, then to
> filtetr cap. I should be able to adjust the dimer to the right
value to
> hold the output voltage to 80v.
>
> I understand the issues of not haivng an isolation transformer
here, but
> I can work with that, Will the basic triac work to give me a lower
> output voltage, or will it be to badly regulated?
>
> Any suggestion for a simple regulator that will work here?
>
> ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-08-21 13:21:35 UTC 80v power supply Mariss Freimanis 2000-08-21 14:30:36 UTC Re: 80v power supply URGENT!