CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux for Beginners

Posted by Ray Henry
on 1999-06-18 13:41:35 UTC
> From: Bob Bachman <bobach@...>
>
> I have been struggling to learn enough Linux to setup EMC. This is not a
learning >- more like a long uphill climb!!

I know the feeling and I had a little experience with unix. I was there
about two months ago. My most recent solution was to clean the hard drive
and install win95 in a 1 gig or so partition. Leave the rest of the space
on the hard drive alone. Get the computer running just the way you want.
If you have a winmodem you can make it work here.

Now start up the Red Hat 5.2 from a floppy. It should find the cd rom
drive and let you install the whole Linux system. When you get to the disk
druid it will recognize the dos partition that already exists. Leave that
part alone and go ahead and make your Linux partitions the way you want
them. When you come to lilo and the boot partition question use the dos one.

When you reboot, you should see the bios and mem stuff and then the lilo
prompt. If you want win95 you can type in whatever you called it during
the linux install there or {enter} for Linux.

Now use windows to download the tar file from NIST. I save it in the C:/
directory. Boot the linux and you should find the file under the /dos
directory. Tar it to where you want it and away you go.

That's harder than Jon E's way but I don't have a net yet.

I'll go over my notes on the patch stuff -- I had a bitch of a time cause
something was wrong with the file I got -- and get it to you asap.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Bob Bachman 1999-06-17 17:38:09 UTC Linux for Beginners Jon Elson 1999-06-17 15:50:38 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners paul@x... 1999-06-17 16:17:47 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners Bob Bachman 1999-06-17 22:38:15 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners Bob Bachman 1999-06-17 22:41:11 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners Jon Elson 1999-06-17 23:15:28 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners paul@x... 1999-06-18 06:54:38 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners Ray Henry 1999-06-18 13:41:35 UTC Re: Linux for Beginners