CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Disappointing Lathe CNC Software

on 2000-08-28 22:21:58 UTC
Peter,

I also have an Accuslide, mine's on an HC. Had it for almost 4
years. Paid for itself in a couple of months.

We do extensive one-offs in addition to the occasional 2000 part run.

How do you like the Fagor control? Sometimes I'd like to strangle
the software writers. Geez, talk about cryptic eror messages!!!
Generally, I like the canned cycles, but they can be frustrating
until you figure out what it takes to make them work.

BTW, I just replaced my 3rd z-axis servo. First burned out under
warranty, (Upgrade had the soft stop set on the wrong side of the
hard stop and I had an unresolved move which toasted the servo).
Second burned out for no apparent reason while I was at lunch
(Upgrade warned me to never leave the machine unattended with out
pushing the E-stop button. I guess others have had servos fry while
the machines sat unattended). The third fried when I tried to drill
a 3/4" hole in mild steel.

Servo Dynamics (the maker of my amps) tells me Upgrade doesn't
connect the amps correctly so as to provide motor over current
protection. Duh??

I was able to buy the last servo direct from the manufacturer at
quite a saving over Upgrade's price. Two years ago they wouldn't
sell direct, but have changed their policy. Incidently, the servo
people have come out with a direct replacement motor having about 50%
more torque AND a built in circuit breaker. I'm thinking seriously
about replacing both my motors which should substantially increase
the rapids.

By chance to you have spindle indexing?

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ptengin@a... wrote:
> Bill,
>
> I, like Jon Anderson, run a lathe on a semi / commercial basis.
Mine is a
> hardinge Dv-59 with an Accuslide by Upgrade Tech. Tell you the
truth, I have
> not seen any software I could call helpful or useful for lathe
work. Bobcad
> 16.1 won't do it. I can get it to generate all the code, but I need
to draw
> all the lines for it to follow. Then I need to hand edit it all. A
lathe
> version of Millwizard would be the ticket.
>

> Right now, I end up hand coding everything for it. It's ok cause
I often
> run "a run" for a week or two so I have time to recoup programming
time. It
> would be nice to find something that would auto rough or remember
cut
> parameters for different tools etc. If anybody on list knows of
something I'm
> sure it would be appreciated. Certainly by me!! It would make the
casual
> one-sy two-sy machining job much easier.
>
> Peter
> THRD, Inc.

Discussion Thread

ptengin@a... 2000-08-28 20:28:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software John Craddock 2000-08-28 20:51:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software dave engvall 2000-08-28 20:57:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software Wilfred Yellow 2000-08-28 21:45:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software Wilfred Yellow 2000-08-28 21:48:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software dougrasmussen@c... 2000-08-28 22:21:58 UTC Re: Disappointing Lathe CNC Software wanliker@a... 2000-08-28 22:53:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software ptengin@a... 2000-08-29 02:28:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Disappointing Lathe CNC Software