CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: time for microprocessors!

on 2000-08-29 14:18:29 UTC
Hi Ron,

how about Cybernetic Microsystems CY545? "High Performance Stepper
System Controller"

http://www.controlchips.com/

I've used the old CY525 (yes, and the old CY512 and even the 500) to
drive a stepper from a parallel port before, and I plan (I've bought the
parts) to build a '545 one for 4-channel CNC. Expensive, a little.
Yes, I'd like to know what FlashCut is doing in their box!

Warm up the wire wrap gun!

Alan

Ron Ginger wrote:

> Ive got to bang my drum again- a dedicated microprocessor to generate
> the pulses. I think FlashCut has the right idea, if only they were into
> Open Standards.
>
> We all agree Windows is not a real time system, thats why all the
> useable software is some DOS deriviative. Yes, Linux has a 'real time'
> capability, but its hard as hell to get working. The complexity is just
> to great to be reliable.
>
> The whole computer world uses separate micros to do all the functions,
> hell even a mouse can have its own proecssor inside. Every disk drive,
> every printer, every modem has its own microprocessor inside. Why do we
> insist on having the PC do the pulses? The PC ought to do GUI, Math,
> Lookahead, etc. The dedicated micro ought to meter out the pulses in
> nice orderly patterns.
>
> When I get into September and summer is over, Im going to get going on a
> Simple Step or PicServo system.
>
> ron

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-08-29 14:18:29 UTC Re: time for microprocessors! Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-08-30 15:37:47 UTC Re: time for microprocessors!