CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Garaj Mahal

Posted by dave engvall
on 2000-08-31 18:02:05 UTC
"Carey L. Culpepper" wrote:

> Steve: That is a scream. Garaj Mahal indeed.The Palm Beach County School
> Board built a new adminisrative office building a number of years back.
> It was rather unusual in design to say the least. Most everybody
> nicknamed it the Taj Mahal until an administrative directive banned the
> use of this term by any school employee a couple of years ago.Typical.
> Thanks, I needed a laugh right about now. The motor on my South Bend
> lathe took a dump last week(literally came apart) I changed out the
> motor for a 1/3 hp motor that just wasn't up to it. Today I replaced
> that with a 1 hp. I dropped the connector nuts inside the motor no less
> than 3 times(until I stuffed it full of rags) which involved rermoving
> the motor and picking it up and shaking it. Not a happy camper. I also
> took a chance on using a 3450 rpm motor which I don't believe the old
> girl likes one bit. Something starts to sieze after running a minute
> drilling a hole. Shut it down and wait a couple seconds and off she goes
> again. The rear tailstock bearing is warm but not hot. The final blow
> was my flat belt breaking. I came in to get my kevlar thread and decided
> to check my e-mail and take a break. Oh, about the kevlar thread. I
> abandoned the leather for a serpentine belt off of my van. I sew the
> ends with kevlar. Works for quite a while, it just came unsewn. I put a
> cam timing belt on my other SB lathe but I had to remove the spindle so
> I didn't have to cut the belt. That works great-I use the smooth side
> for now will eventually make a timing pulley to fit . Thanks again for
> the grins. Now to find a big needle.
> Carey
> Steve Stovner wrote:

Shame on PB school board. That is a real violation of 1st amendment rights. You might think they were guilty or had a thin skin.

Speaking of serpertine belts. I suspect they are J size poly-V
and belts are not very expensive. Use the lathe to cut the grooves.... 40 degree. Kennametal lathe book has the specs.
Belts are usually under 10 $$. Good energy transfer.
My lathe ( Jet ) expects 2:1 from motor to spindle drive.

Dave

Discussion Thread

dave engvall 2000-08-31 18:02:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Garaj Mahal