CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Axis naming conventions (wasRe: CNC Lathe retro-fit)

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-09-02 17:03:23 UTC
Paul Corner wrote:

>Hi John
>Surely that should read the X axis - the Z axis runs parallel to the
>bed.
>Regards, Paul.

Paul,

The axis names were standardized in the early 50's when there was no
first C in CNC, Just NC. Of course, they had names before that, but
the use of Numerical Control created the need for a conventional
usage.

The three primary linear Axes are assumed to be at right angles to
each other. Z is assigned to the TOOL-HOLDING axis. X is assigned to
the longest(non-tool-holding)axis. Y is the remaining axis.

In some cases, the x axis does not have the longest TRAVEL, but can
carry the longest AXIS OF THE PART BEING WORKED ON.

The next three defined axes are rotary. They are named A,B,C rotating
around X,Y,Z respectively.

There are three more defined axes, which are linear and parallel to
the primary X,Y,Z axes. They are the U,V,W axes.

See also my post Re: lathe something??

So we have the standard mill config. X(left and right),Y(towards and
away),Z(up and down). If we mount a rotary table flat to the mill
table, it is a C axis. If we mount it at 90 degrees to the mill
table, it is either an A or a B, depending on whether it is aligned
to the X or Y axis.(common is with a tailstock for work parallel to
the X axis, this would be an A.) If we add a second spindle to our
mill, parallel to the first, it is a W axis.

There are some CNC machines(routers,mostly) being sold which
incorrectly call the X axis, Y; with designations like XYYZ.

If this is not clear, please let me know.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-09-02 17:03:23 UTC Axis naming conventions (wasRe: CNC Lathe retro-fit)