CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: List of Gcode "flavors"

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2000-09-02 20:41:06 UTC
> From: ballendo@...
> A group
> like ours could help reduce (or eliminate) this for the future.
<...>
> So for the long term sanity of machine tool operators everywhere,
> having a list of what's been done already; and using said list to
> help define a more orderly future, Can't hurt.

That's an admirable goal, and one that I support. The problem is this:

The incompatibilities between different "flavors" of G-code were (and are)
put there on purpose.

If all the manufacturers of machine tool controls wanted to, they could have
hewn to the same mark long ago. Companies that build controls make them
understand basic G-codes so they can say they are "industry standard", but
they purposely make them incompatible with other maker's controls so that
shops with multiple machines will "standardize" on one brand of control to
avoid all the (artificially created) headaches that come with a mixed
environment. Of course none of the control makers will admit this, they will
simply say that they do things the way they do because they want their
customers to benefit from their vastly superior methods. I believe that in
marketingspeak this is a form of the method called "differentiation".

Matt

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 2000-09-02 20:41:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: List of Gcode "flavors" wanliker@a... 2000-09-04 18:14:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: List of Gcode "flavors"