CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Gcode

Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:

> Anyone have a few lines of gcode that demonstrate cutting arcs in the
> other planes? Like, when do you do that? A "curved" bottom pocket and
> ball end-mill??

Yes, precisely!

> I notice that (if I understand it) VectorCAD/CAM likes to draw arcs in
>
> the X-Y plane, you rotate into that plane when you want to draw an
> arc.
> Is that typical of other cad programs? It's taking a while for me to
> get my head around 3D! Probably too long away from mechanical drawing
>
> in college. I never got that far (drawing 3D) in the "demo" BobCad.
> have no idea how to do 3D there. Any comments? I think there must be
>
> some correlation between machining 3D and drawing 3D. Helps the mind,
>
> anyway.

In Bobcad/CAM, you mostly rotate the 'page' with the select view
controls until
the plane in which you want the arcs to appear is 'flat' with respect to
your screen.
You then draw your arcs, and then maybe rotate back to the XY plane, and
use
trim/extend to join places on the arcs to the rest of the part. It is
not intuitive
or easy, but it works.

Jon Elson 2000-09-02 23:38:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Gcode