CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Al Bradley

dkmachine@... wrote:

> In a message dated 09/04/2000 1:54:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> jmelson@... writes:
>
> > Yes, I have a complete, working (last time I fired it up) 7320. The
>
> > software was great
> > (for that vintage) the hardware was prety good, but some things
> were
> > wierd.
> > Like the cabinet cooler that was switched on when the air inside
> the
> > cabinet
> > reached 145 F!
>
> Jon,
> What machine was/is it on?

Do you remember Vantonova, from about 3 years ago? he got this off a
huge
Cincinatti Horizontal, I think. I don't quite remember the details, but
it was a
LARGE machine. Although, these 7320s seem to gravitate to the big
machines,
maybe because the hydraulic drive stuff worked well. I have heard of a
lot
of K&T, Wotan and other HBMs and such with 7320s.

> I've got a J&L lathe with a 73(30)? on it.

7320 was for up to 6 axes, 7340 for up to 4, 7360 for 2 axes only.
I don't believe there was a 7330.

> Looses it's exec. on a regular basis.

Yup, and I know why. There is a double pole switch on the battery
charger - says battery on/off. One pole connects 110 V AC to
the battery charger, the other connects the battery's 12 V DC to
the pepory backup power supply. I think the 12 contacts go
open circuit about every 2 - 4 weeks in humid conditions. You
might try replacing the switch. I found I couldn't get my system
to come up unless I flipped that switch off and back on.

> I guess J&L went cheap on it, there are no canned
> cycles, and only .090 max tool offset!

I didn't use a lathe version of the program, but I didn't see a
limit on tool offsets. I used both tool length and cutter diameter
compensation.

> The Hardinge A/B's of similar vintage ('79-'81)
> have much better software.
> Most any I've ever looked at always have
> the 2A & 5A fuses in the memory power supply replaced
> with 10's or 15's.

Good way to start a fire. AB put TONS of tantalum capacitors
all over their boards. Must have been designed by some ex-military
designers. those caps go bad after a while and short out. I had to
replace a bunch of them when I got my unit from Vantonova.

> Yes 145f! about right for keeping pizza,
> could double as a warming oven I suspect.
> Looks like better (PC based) times are coming.

The only reason I kept mine (once EMC was really working) was that
I thought I might drum up some business testing and repairing
7320 boards. Nobody has showed much interest in that service,
though.

Jon Elson 2000-09-04 23:31:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Al Bradley