CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Are there CNC-only jobs, or is it only for duplicates?

on 2000-09-06 18:51:14 UTC
Doug Warner wrote:

> I've been following this group for some time, and have been amazed at
> the amount of work (and money) people spending to automate their
> machine tools. I can see the application for doing for-pay work, 100
> items, exactly alike, but for hobby use, is there an advantage where
> duplicates aren't important? Are there parts that simply can't be
> made by twisting the screws by hand?

Yes there are parts that can't be made by hand. Yes hobby work
does require parts that are exactly alike - 2 to 50, perhaps -
depending on the project.

The other thing is that people do like to have a hobby and the
end use of the object produced is simply to have that object work
as planned for the sheer joy of it. A working CNC machine is
valued for its own sake, not because it can be used for anything.

This is a common American affliction. By the time developements
actually get into the mainstream of American manufacturing
processes, they have already been invented and used extensively
in private by very intelligent people who find it inhibiting to
work for anyone except themselves and for their own enjoyment.

Technological advancement has to start somewhere and this e-mail
list contains people who are on the foreskin of machining
ingenuity.

JerryK

Discussion Thread

Jerry Kimberlin 2000-09-06 18:51:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Are there CNC-only jobs, or is it only for duplicates? Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-09-06 20:07:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Are there CNC-only jobs, or is it only for duplicates? Jon Elson 2000-09-06 21:56:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Are there CNC-only jobs, or is it only for duplicates? James Owens 2000-09-07 07:08:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Are there CNC-only jobs, or is it only for duplicates?