CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Thoughts on Gcode interpreters and CNC controls....

on 2000-09-07 21:55:44 UTC
Darrel,

This all happened within the last year so it must have been a recent
version of Ahha. He was running a fairly fast Pentium, don't know
exactly what speed, at least 400 mhz. Ahha told us he had plenty of
processor power.

I spoke with the folks back at Ahha a couple times. They more or less
grudgingly admitted to me that their continuous contouring mode
didn't work very well. The guy had 40,000 rpm Perske spindle motors
and was hoping for some high speed contouring using 1/2" bits. Never
could get completely rid of those dwell/burns. Theoretically, with a
two flute cutter @ .010" chip load per tooth he could have contoured
at 800 ipm (is my math right?, 2x40,000x.010). By slowing the
spindle way down and a feedrate of around 20 ipm he got the best
results. From a money making standpoint that was too slow part
making.

Last I heard he went to a Centroid control and was cutting around 100
to 150 ipm.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Darrell" <dgehlsen@e...> wrote:
> What was he running for a computer and what version of ahha did he
have?
> Darrell

CNC
> controls....
>

> > Regarding continuous contouring, the Ahha system I helped the
wood
> > router guy with had that mode. We could never get it to work, he
> > always had micro dwell, burn marks on his wood between blocks.
The
> > only way to eliminate them was to turn off cutter comp and
program to
> > the bit's centerline.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Doug

Discussion Thread

Darrell 2000-09-07 21:07:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Thoughts on Gcode interpreters and CNC controls.... dougrasmussen@c... 2000-09-07 21:55:44 UTC Re: Thoughts on Gcode interpreters and CNC controls....