CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Design to part - what to use

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-06-26 03:44:46 UTC
"Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...> wrote:

>Subject: Re: EMC-Making chips
>
>I think the catagories should be
>
>Design

[I'm a big fan of Rhino. It's a spline-based (as opposed to polygon-based)
modelling program that offers a better way of defining curvy geometries
which is more accurate, with less data to choke the computer. I
participated in their development process, and I thought it was a model for
how this should be done. They made the beta program available for free to
an unlimited set of users, ranging from tool-and die makers to architects,
shipbuilders, animators, and even sculptors. The people writing the
program not only listened to the feedback they got, but actually put in the
changes that people requested as well as fixing the bugs that were
reported. This went on for about two years before they were satisfied they
had a program that was worth selling- and then they have continued the
development process with feedback from their customers, who can download
the latest beta versions for free, as they are written.

It was a very strong program when it was released, and has gotten better- a
notable new feature just added is "Surface from a network of curves" which
radically improves the quality and controllability of the surfaces one can
make. Another thing I liked about it was the price- they are selling it for
$795, which undercuts their competition significantly. Because I got a
number of copies wholesale when they had a special introductory price, I'm
still selling it for $400.]

>CAM
>DXF/HPGL to G code.

[For converting 3d DXF, STL, and VRML surfaces (as opposed to 2d DXF or
HPGL) I like DeskProto, which comes from the Netherlands. It requires a
minimum of input from the user- all you have to do is import the geometry,
scale it to the machine you're using, choose a toolbit, set the spacing of
the passes and determine the milling strategy, and it does the rest
automatically, generating gouge-free toolpaths (in multilple passes, if
desired) which have no problem with large-size files or complex curving
forms. They just came out with version 2.0, which offers some new features
like vastly improved part shading and the ability to rotate the part
geometry on an axis determined in the CAD program, which makes indexing
possible. I'm selling this program for $1450, which represents a
substantial discount off list price.]

>G code interpreter for stepper

[As a way of introducing myself to this new way of making things, I
researched the miniature milling machines available, and got one from MaxNC
that took me the rest of the way, smoothly interpreting the g-code output
from DeskProto to carve out complicated parts. The machine I got, the MaxNC
10, was the cheapest CNC machine I could find, and I was agreeably
surprised by how well it worked. Since the program works in DOS, I could
dedicate a cheap 486 machine to running it, and it handles files of
unlimited size. All their machines plug into the printer port, so it
wasn't necessary to add cards to the computer to run them. The 10-2 was,
however, somewhat small for my needs, so when the new MaxNC 15 was
released, which is not only larger but has stronger motors that run twice
as fast, I got one of those too, plus their rotary table attachment. (This
needed a 2nd parallel port) I've persuaded them to let me be a distributor
for their company, and I'm offering my customers a 5% discount off their
already rock-bottom prices, which means you can get a 3-axis CNC mill for
as little as $1230.

For customers wanting a bigger machine capable of cutting steel (the MaxNC
machines are recommended for materials up to brass in hardness) I've
recently added the CNCJr to my list of offerings. These are basically
cnc-converted mill-drills, with their own g-code interpreter. a 2hp spindle
motor, and steppers on the x, y, and z axes. I'm also offering 5% off their
prices, so you can get one of these 600lb machines for $4418. ]

>G code interpreters for Servos

[I'm still looking for something that will do this, to convert a big old
servo-equipped CNC mill I recently purchased. EMC sounds like a good
solution if I could get over my Linuxphobia- otherwise a card with an
onboard processor looks like the best bet. ]

>Some of the above catagories may be combined depending on the software.
>BobCad and Vector will let you design a part then use the Cam features to
>produce the G code. Autocad will only produce the design.
>If there are HPGL convertor programs that would be nice also
>Dan

[Perhaps another category that should be listed are 3d input devices, like
digitizing arms and laser scanners. I've been talking with some of the
companies involved with these about offering arms and scans at a discount-
let me know if there's any interest.]

Andrew Werby
http://www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-06-26 03:44:46 UTC Design to part - what to use Robert Campbell 1999-06-26 12:08:48 UTC Re: Design to part - what to use