CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: fonts

ballendo@... wrote:

> Jon,
>
> We are both right. PS IS a vector language(including fonts) as I
> said; and the capability to USE the bitmaps(which are an example of a
> programming SHORTCUT for performance) you speak of to create a
> toolpath IS available!
>
> The fact that many standard fonts ARE stored in their SHORTCUT form
> as you state, does nothing to diminish the truth that they are
> available, if necessary, as vectors! THIS is what concerns the thread
> I posted to.
>
> Ballendo

Yup, I will agree with this. Yes, the printer (interpreter) internally
stores
fonts as vector outlines, so they can be easily scaled (and take less
space).
If the printer had to regenerate the bitmap every time it drew the
character,
the performance would be abominable. You can see this with GhostScript,

whenever it needs to draw a character for the first time, it really
slows down.

I guess there is a way to download new fonts to the printer
(interpreter) in
outline form, I think I've even heard mention of that process, but I've
never
seen the PostScript code that does it, and it is not in any of my
PostScript
books.

I also note that Bobcad can take any trueType font and extract the
outline
when placing text on a drawing. When you 'smash' the text, you convert
it
from a special case known as text to a series of vectors. You might be
able
to use Bobcad to perform the conversion.

I have made a few hacks to the Bobcad native font, because some of the
characters are UGLY! Unfortunately, I can't give it away, as it
contains
mostly Bobcad info. I could probably figure out how to use a source
code control system to extract only the replaced characters and put it
in a form that could be patched into anyone else's file. (The advantage

is the native font is the only one that is not an outline, but just the
vectors
themselves. What I mean is that the Bobcad native font has NO
thickness,
and engraves as a single line, where all other fonts engrave as 2
lines.)

Jon Elson 2000-09-11 23:47:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: fonts