CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re Hardinge chucker

Posted by Ray
on 2000-09-16 08:31:18 UTC
> Message: 24
> Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:37:47 -0400
> From: "David M. Munro" <munro@...>
> Subject: Hardinge chucker
>
> We were talking about Hardinge chuckers the other day, in connection with retrofits. One has turned up on eBay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=439235610
>
> No connection...
>
> David M. Munro

I currently maintain five of these machines that run two shifts. They
make about $200.00 an hour and are very nice for some kinds of
production work. You will need to become skilled at setup.

I do not believe that it would make a very good candidate for any
klind of CNC retrofit because of the hydraulic axis drives. But with some
of the modern variable flow valves, some might want to try. It is an
awesome candidate for a PLC upgrade. That might cost less that replacing
two of the timers.

They are not difficult to troubleshoot if you have some electrical
experience. Some of the time delay relays are expensive and there is a
large probability that many of the plastic relay frames are broken. But
the good news is that the AB relays will continue to work while very nearly
trashed.

You should expect to spend a day or more with the schematic as you begin
to get a feel for how Hardinge did the machine logic. Biggest problem is
that the coolant oil gets into all the limit switches and causes the
points to burn.

Hey! At a buck 80 + s&h how can you go wrong.

I have no connection to this deal.

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray 2000-09-16 08:31:18 UTC Re Hardinge chucker