CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: Picture of my new toy (I think?)

on 2000-09-16 18:28:22 UTC
Tim,

The toolholder looks just like the NMTB set that ENCO has on sale, except
this one holds collets.

I'd like to get a set of collets for this holder, but the enco catalog
doesnt sell them w/o a holder.

You're going to need:

- 1/2" socket ( recommend >= 1/2 inch drive) and a long 'breaker bar' for
the head rotation locking bolts.
- socket set
- hex wrenches large assorted

see wwww.Harborfreight.com

Toolholder and quill drive nut on rack/pinion :
- Huge adjustable wrench (Harborfreight.com $19.99) 25' 2.25" inch
capacity or more. for the collet nut
- 1.75" wrench for the holder body while removing the collet nut ( I found
one at a harborfreight store for $9.99)
note: I had to grind the wrench side-of jaws to make it norrower.
- spannerwrench set $14.99 part# 41243-OMBA (harborfreight) I had to grind
the "lip" of the spanner to fit in the
coller slot better.

-Lee

ps I got a got 7.5 hp 220v 3phase motor and a questionable 10hp 220v 3phase
today for $120.
www.meci.com has the caps needed for the 3phase conversion. and I'll get
the relay from grainger.
Some of the contactors we'll need are in the control unit box at the back
of the mill.

At 08:40 PM 9/14/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Lee,
>

>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Yes, I'll post a message. Chances are you'll have a better
>> experience than
>> I did with CME,
>> I think I just got a flakey driver. The mill arrived in good shape.
>
>David has faxed my shipping information in to CME and they say the mill will
>be picked up sometime next week. I guess we'll find out if your experience
>is atypical.
>
>> The rigging company quoted me $300-$400, then actually charged me $450. I
>> was alittle ticked.
>> I got it in the garage fine, with room to spare. Let me know if you need
>> any measurements.
>
>I called 2 rigging companies. The closest quoted $75 to receive the machine
>and then $130/hr for 2 men, a truck, and the forklift billed from when they
>start loading onto the truck until they return to the yard. The farthest
>away was willing to quote a flat rate of $525 contingent only on my being
>able to lower the head so the mill clears the garage door. While the per
>hour could have been cheaper if all went right it could have been much more
>expensive if anything slowed them down. Decided I was more comfortable with
>the fixed rate. I would like to know the exact height of the mill to the top
>of the motor. Also, what is the widest part side to side and front to back.
>
>> I'm working on trying to get a 2.25 inch box wrench for the quick change
>> spindle nut. Also, will
>> have to fabricate a wrench for the quckchange 'flange'( a ~4inch knurled
>> coller that holds the
>> taperd holder in place.) I'm trying to get it out so I can figure out what
>> collets to order.
>> I found 2 weird handles that I hoped would fit in a $3 sale bin at harbour
>> freight, and was
>> planning to send you one, but they're too big approx 2.5".
>
>I appreciate your thinking of me.
>
>> Got a brigeport-type right angle mill attachment on sale awhile back
>> (enco), but the spindle on
>> this thing is 4.25" vs the standard 3.25. Also the opposite arbor support
>> clamps on a V slot
>> thats not present in this beast. I'll either have to make an adapter, or
>> return it.
>
>I have never done a project that required a horizontal mill. The only use I
>remember seeing in class was with a dividing head to cut gears.
>
>> Your going to be surprised at the sheer size of these mills!
>
>At least I am fore warned!!
>
>> You got a super deal!! I hope they other guy does too. I think I
>> got a good
>> deal too
>> considering its a real Bridgeport.
>
>I don't think any of use can complain at the price, but until I see what I
>really bought it is hard to judge the value. If I have to replace any parts
>it will quickly eat up the price difference.
>

>I have asked Mariss at Geckodrive about his stepper drives and what the
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Lee & Chris studley 2000-09-16 18:28:22 UTC RE: Picture of my new toy (I think?)