CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] #40 tapers?

Posted by Rick Dulas
on 2000-09-17 11:42:16 UTC
Howdy Tim! I'm preparing a little monograph on Milling Machine Tool
Tapers which will be available as soon as I can figure out who to send
it to.

NMTB is a single flange taper and the grand-daddy of tapers, as
evidenced by the numerous names it has. You'll see it called Quick
Change, NMTB, MM, National Standard, American Standard Machine Taper &
ANSI defines six taper shank sizes including #30, #35, #40, #45, #50,
and #60. You may come across #30, #40, & #50 tapers. For all the sizes
the taper is 3 1/2" per foot.

The BT and CATerpillar are dual flange tapers of a later vintage. The BT
is found mostly on Japanese and some European machines, while the CAT is
found mostly on BIG American iron. Given this is a Bridgeport Series II,
I'd suspect NMTB #40. But I understand that Bridgeport will put nearly
any taper on a machine on a custom basis.

Rick {who learned about tapers after too many that don't fit his
machine} Dulas

BTW I have dimensioned drawings of the major taper families as part of
the taper web page I'm putting together. Let me know if you need a copy
before the web page goes up.

Tim Goldstein wrote:

> Studying the specs on the Bridgeport series 2 (What else are you
> suppose to
> do while waiting for it?) it list the spindle as No. 40 milling
> machine.
> When I look in the supply catalogs I see Cat 40, BT 40, ISO40, and
> NMTB 40.
> What are the differences and are any of them interchangeable. Which
> one
> really fits the Bridgeport?
>
> Tim
> [Denver, CO]

Rick Dulas 2000-09-17 11:42:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] #40 tapers? Lee & Chris studley 2000-09-17 12:27:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] #40 tapers?