CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Acme screws was:Re: Re: greetings

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-09-17 21:51:05 UTC
Dan Dowell wrote:
>Whats an ACME THREAD and where can I look at one. Maybe I dont want
>ball screws but I would like to reduce the backlash on the mill.
>Thanks Dan

Dan,

Since the list is having a run of ASCII art, maybe this will help:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Regular screw

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

_ _ _ _ _
\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

Acme Screw
_ _ _ _
/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_

As you can see (hopefully) the acme style screw threads have a rather
wide "flat" at the top and bottom of each thread. This dramatically
increases the strength of the threads compared to regular V-point
types.

Where to see 'em? MOST wood and metal vises use acme for the main
screw, or Go to harbor freight or home depot and look at Jorgenson
brand "Pony" pipe clamps. In short, they're everywhere.

Hope this helps.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-09-17 21:51:05 UTC Acme screws was:Re: Re: greetings