CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: unlurking

Posted by Ted
on 1999-06-28 22:43:13 UTC
From Ted Robbins rtr@...

I am excited about your pproject as I am sure that others are as well. I
have a couple of comments at this stage in your design. It seems that you
are trying to make a stand alone unit probably fed from a pc. Would you
shorten design time and agony by using software rether than an eeprom to
hold the paramaters. You are probably going to end up remaining connected
to a pc anyway.

Your noise control techniques are always worth while and optical couplers
are worth using. If you stay connected, you will still need a seperate
source of power for the drivers, so you probably won't get away with a wall
wart.

As a tech nerd I like solder ball jumpers, but the machinists among us
might be better served by dip switches. Don't cost much and the function
of each switch can sometimes be screened right on the board. A fancier way
would be to put in a buffer reached by software. Might be more problem
than a simple dip switch.

A low cost microstepper would be a blessing for us all.

----------
> [...]
> etc. I hope to finish the first PCB layout for the driver in the next few
> days. The spec of the driver is overkill for this application but I
intend
> to use the same design for my own uses. The spec is 2 phase microstepping
> bipolar chopper drive of up to 80V @ 8Amps for driving one motor. I have
> put a fast micro in the design and because of this I can give it new and
> novel features, I am taking the opportunity to ask the group for advice
on
> what features would be desirable. I have made a list of the ones I am
> currently thinking of implementing but I would like comments and ideas.
>
> 1. Optoisolated inputs (step, direction, lowpower1, shutdown)
> 2. Optoisolated outputs (fault, lowpower2)
> 3. Takes DB25 pin cable (printer port style)
> 4. Pass through to another DB25 to daisy chain the next motor driver(s)
> 5. A jumper matrix (ball of solder type) on the PCB allowing any DB25 pin
> to be connected to the any driver input, output, ground.
> 6. A signal that allows automatic power reduction when all drivers have
> stopped (lowpower2).
> 7. Motor parameter setup up by RS232 port. (max phase current, lowpower
> phase current, low power delay time, etc)
> 8. Signal polarity setup by RS232 port (step, direction, lowpower1,
> shutdown, fault etc)
> 9. EEPROM to store parameters.
> 10. LEDs to show signals (clockwise, step, fault etc)
> 11. Motor connection and motor power via un pluggable terminal block
style
> connector.
> 12. Logic power 12Vac plug pack (wall wart).
> 13. Motor drive short circuit protection.
> 14. Fits in a snazzy aluminium extrusion.
>
> I will be doing a similar module for limit switch detection and spindle
> control.
>
> Before going further I should mention what stage I am up to.
>
> I have prototyped one phase of the motor driver on strip board and
> controlled it from a DAC driven from the micro. I have only run it at 60V
> at 4 Amps at the moment because the circuit becomes unstable at higher
> currents because stripboard is unsuitable for this type of circuit (at
> least I think that it is the reason!) No firmware has been written at
this
> stage (except the code to drive the 12 DAC that sets the max phase
> current). Hope to have some PCBs in a week.
>
> I know that many of you are probably saying to yourselves that this
project
> is going to cost a lot of money and I have to agree that it certainly
isn't
> a low budget design but in my defense I can only say The PCBs are being
> made for me at no cost and I can have as many prototype iterations as
> needed without financial penalty and so I am taking the opportunity to
make
> this design as interesting as possible. Just to allay any ethical fears.
My