CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Ball Screw Lead

on 2000-09-20 21:18:26 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Mike Gann <mikegann@h...> wrote:
> I have been looking for some ball nuts
> that need to be:
>
> 1. Inexpensive
> 2. Fit into a 1.5" channel
>
> I was looking to use either a 5/8" x .2" lead or 16mm x 5mm lead.
> Technosiel has an ideal nut that would fit my needs. It is thier
> KM Series Ball Nut. It is a cylindrical nut with an outside diameter
> of 28mm. It is essientially a zero backlash nut and is only $63.73.
>
> The problem is (there's allways a problem) they are out of stock on
the
> 16mm x 5mm lead nut. Possibly until January, they are checking as I
> type.
> They may be able to get me a 16 x 2.5 or 16 x 10.
>
> Anyone see any drawbacks to using one of these other leads?
> Using the same 2:1 reduction, I could get twice the resolution but
> lower speeds with the 2.5mm lead. I haven't worked out any actual
speeds
> yet.
>
> I don't think I would want to use the higher lead, but what do I
know?

> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Mike Gann

i'm using the 16x5mm and will be ordering the 16x4mm soon to install
on the z axis of my minimill.the higher the lead the bigger the motor
and the fast it moves.you'r gong to machine your own blocks to hold
the nuts in place,becouse there is a screw that squizes the nut
against the leadscrew to get rid of the backlash.If you order the nut
you'll have to order the blocks or make your own.
I'm using the other ones,that has the flanges to hold it in place.

Discussion Thread

Mike Gann 2000-09-20 14:42:29 UTC Ball Screw Lead Alvaro Fogassa 2000-09-20 21:18:26 UTC Re: Ball Screw Lead