CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Re: Ways to convert step/direction signals to +/-10V an...

Posted by beer@s...
on 2000-09-29 09:20:30 UTC
On 29 Sep, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com wrote:

> You are absolutely correct about the precision and I AM looking for a circuit
> which will allow the quadrature feedback. Looks like the Gecko will be the
> way to go so far.

Ahhh ... so this magic box you desire DOES need to include quadrature
feedback as well. That changes things completely.

Let me begin by saying that I'm an electronics kinda guy and a
cheapskate, and not necessarily in that order. I've looked long and
hard at building my own servo system, being right in the middle of
an upgrade/conversion of a mill, and having been quite successful with a
homebrew stepper system.

Let me repeat the cheapskate part.

Now let me say that I'm going to BUY some G320s !

I am quite frankly astonished at how cheap the Gecko drives are. In
fact, if it weren't for glowing reports from respected friends, I'd
believe it was all a scam - there's no way something so cool could
be so cheap.

Here's what I'd do in your situation. I'd buy a Gecko drive. I'd then
put a resistor on the output, in place of a motor. The ends of that
resistor would then go to a differential amp, of suitable gain. Ground
referenced +-10.

I can't imagine a cheaper solution.

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2000-09-29 09:20:30 UTC Re: Re: Re: Ways to convert step/direction signals to +/-10V an...