CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Subject: Re: G-Codes to Stepper Pulses?

on 1999-07-01 06:13:39 UTC
Reference To:
Message: 14 - Digest 71
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:25:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sambik <sambik@...>

There have been a lot of questions regarding the availibility of low-cost
CNC software to convert G-Code to stepper pulses or servo commands - As
mentioned earlier, my experience is in mechanical design and CNC programming
areas rather than in computer programming.

However, a few years ago I was on an advisory committee for a project at the
University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. This was a cooperative effort
between the Mechanical Engineering and either the Electrical or Computer
departments.

The goal was to develop a low-cost CNC system, including software and
hardware. The professor in charge has since left the university (to start a
company producing CNC systems). However, I would guess that since this
effort was used by several graduate students as the basis for theses that
there would be quite a lot of information and software available from the
university on the subject.

I believe that government grants were involved in the development efforts.
I think that might make the information part of the public domain if someone
would care to track it down.

If anyone would like more information, get in touch with me and I can
probably provide a name to contact at the university.

I would guess that there are probably a lot of these projects scattered
around the universities of the US and other countries if a search were made.
I'm not aware of the regulations regarding freedom of information in other
countries but in the US if government funds were involved we have a right to
the information. Sometimes the beauraucrats make you jump through a lot of
hoops to encourage you to "go away" but persistence pays and after all, it
was OUR taxes that paid for this stuff in the first place!

Roland Friestad

Discussion Thread

Roland Friestad 1999-07-01 06:13:39 UTC Subject: Re: G-Codes to Stepper Pulses?