CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: RE:heatsink flexing

Posted by Rick Dulas
on 2000-10-06 15:12:25 UTC
Howdy! At the risk of coming in from left field, how about mounting the
heatsink solidly, bolt the TO-220 to it and make the electrical
connections to the board via some of that really nice stranded,
silver-plated, teflon-coated wire that can sometimes be found in
equipment manufactured to Guv'mint spec. Adding 3 more solder joints
will increase your probability of failure due to a bad solder joint,
but, in turn, would will allow these bits of wire to, hopefully, absorb
more of the flex in the vibration cycle.

An alternative would be to assemble the module and "pot" it with casting
resin, leaving some/most of the heatsink bare. A real bear to repair,
but it fixes the vibration problem. <G>

But lest we lose sight of the goal, remeber... "This ain't an Apollo
mission."

Rick Dulas

Rick Dulas 2000-10-06 15:12:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RE: RE:heatsink flexing ballendo@y... 2000-10-06 16:22:20 UTC Re: RE: RE:heatsink flexing