CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Newbie Questions - Part Deux WAS Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 745

Posted by Rick Dulas
on 2000-10-07 16:49:34 UTC
Howdy Mr. Wet! [Caveat: not a cadcam genius] However... I'll give one
point-of-view, and the "cadcam geniuses" can respond when they get done
cutting metal. <G>

Peter Chen wrote:

> Dear cadcam geniuses,
>
> I am a new-born baby (newbie in your lingo, I think)
> with very small ambitions (initially that is).

You sound like you are humble, modest, and completely unrealistic, this
is an excellent start for a roll-your-own CAD/CAD/DRO person. <G>

> I get
> green with jealousy when I read about all the stuff
> you can buy from eBay, and surplus motors, etc, plus
> all the large retrofits that you have in your home
> workshop, but I will be satisfied to just get a system
> with which I can learn and get some hands-on. Accuracy
> and/or precision can wait.

Are you looking for "hands-on" making things using a CNC tool? Or are
you looking for experience in making a CNC tool? The answer to that will
probably help you in deciding on buying the Sherline or trying to build
something. In the meantime read the CAD/CAM/EDM/DRO FAQ for all kinds of
information. http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html

> I am still struggling with
> the decision on purchase of my first CNC and wish to
> plead for your advice.
>
> I have tried Flashcut demo and am very pleased with
> its ease of use. All I need to know is how to draw
> with AutoCAD

You might consider taking an AutoCAD course, taught at a local school.
Our British breathern will have much more information on what is
available. AutoCAD is a very complex tool, and like most complex
systems, there is a significant learning curve. If you go back over the
threads in this list for the past few weeks you will find reference to
several CAD programs besides ACAD which will allow you to export DXF
files. One of these may be easier or quicker to learn.

> and how to export dxf (plus a teeny bit
> of G-code programming. Flashcut have a very nice
> G-code editor). I am torn between the decision to make
> my life easy and just purchase a ready assembled
> Sherline, or going the cheapskate way and just getting
> their electronics and software, then get my hands
> dirty trying to put together something with my dremel
> handtool plus drillstand,

If you don't have, or have access to, a reasonably equipped shop "trying
to put together something with my dremel handtool plus drillstand"
sounds like an exercise in frustration. One of the smartest engineers I
ever met once told me "It takes tools to make tools."

> and/or perhaps a hot-wire
> cutter for expanded polystyrene. Please remember that
> the only lead/ball screws I have seen are photos in
> catalogues.

Perhaps you might consider getting the Sherline and doing some manual
maching while you continue to participate in this mail list. After
manually making little pieces out of big ones, you may have a better
"feel" for the direction you wish to go.

> Anyone out there has experience with
> Flashcut system and wish to offer some well meaning
> (hopefully not patronizing) advice and lead.

If you are affronted in any way, please understand that it is not
intentional.

> Thanks.
>
> Mr. wet behind the ears.

Rick Dulas

Rick Dulas 2000-10-07 16:49:34 UTC Newbie Questions - Part Deux WAS Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 745