CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Collimating light beams

on 2000-10-10 15:09:00 UTC
Auto collimation is much discussed in texts on precision measument. It is the means by which surface plates are judged flat, and
measurements of extreme precision are made. I just read the paragraph on the subject on the subject in "Fundimentals of
Dimensional Metrology" by Ted Busch, and am still unenlightened. Any takers?

David M. Munro

Ian Wright wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was pulling an old laser printer to pieces the other day when an old
> engineer friend turned up. I had just dismantled the laser assembly and in
> it is an accurate hexagonal mirror. Seeing this his eyes lit up and he
> started muttering about this being absolutely essential in a good workshop.
> Since he tends to go a bit incomprehensible when he gets excited, I didn't
> quite grasp the details of how you use such a thing, but he referred to it
> as 'a polygon' and was muttering about 'collimating light beams' and such
> like. Perhaps this could be a source of an accurate set-up tool - maybe used
> with one of the 'pocket laser pointers'? Or is this all just rubbish??? ;o)
>
> Ian

Discussion Thread

David M. Munro 2000-10-10 15:09:00 UTC Collimating light beams