CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't.

on 2000-10-10 23:54:54 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ron Ginger <ginger@s...> wrote:
> Alvaro Fogassa wrote:
> > So,Ive got tired of playing with it and bought the
Big ,bad,Grizzly minimill.
> > this one worth the efforts to retrofit.
> > i've allready got the ballscrews on it at a cost of $140.00 per
axis.
> > and best of all no backlash!
>
> Please tell me what ball screw you found that fit and how you
mounted
> it.
>
> I have been trying to make Moglice nuts for my Grizz, and have had
one
> failed set so far. Ive got a new idea to try next time I get a
chance,
> but I would go with ball screws if I could find some that would fit.
>
> I did make my first real part with the Grizz, the back of the
gearbox
> for a radial engine. I was a bit unhappy with the vibration. The
Grizz
> did not seem a lot better than the Sherline, I wound up taking
about the
> same depth of cut I did with the Sherline. Altough the Grizz has a
nice
> solid cast iron table the motor is still up on a fairly long column,
> mounted on a pivot bolt.
>
> Im not ready to call the Grizz junk, but I was less than thrilled
at my
> first attempts. I am coning to the thought suggested here that the
way
> to CNC nirvanna is with an old Bridgeport with a new control. If
only I
> had built my shop 8 feet longer.....
>
> ron

Ron,the ballscrew and nuts are fro technoisel,I just filled the z
sadle with Philadelphia Epoxi putty to see If I can get it to slide a
little better and will put it togheter tomorrow.
The problem with vibration could be resolved by fixing the collun
better than just that nut,or make a big spacer that would fit inside
of the collun over the screw that holds it in place.I still have to
work on it.My first tought was to bolt the machine to a cheap granit
surface plate and bolt a cross bar from the rear of the collun to the
granite base.
I'll upload pics when I'm donne with it.
Don't tell me about the extra 8 feet,If at least I had a garage!All
my staff is on 10X6 office space,I only have a GRizzly lathe and the
minimill and it takes all of the space.

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-10-08 14:23:57 UTC Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Alvaro Fogassa 2000-10-08 16:00:12 UTC Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Drew Rogge 2000-10-09 08:56:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Alvaro Fogassa 2000-10-09 09:48:50 UTC Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Drew Rogge 2000-10-09 09:51:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Ron Ginger 2000-10-10 12:59:50 UTC Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Andy Olney 2000-10-10 18:26:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't. Alvaro Fogassa 2000-10-10 23:54:54 UTC Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't.