CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I wouldn't.

Posted by Andy Olney
on 2000-10-11 05:53:53 UTC
Carey - thanks for the info. I did get some release agent in liquid form
from moglice and will be sure to put several layers on.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carey L. Culpepper [mailto:mr.c@...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2000 8:07 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: sherline Ballscrews (Yes, you CAN!) But I
wouldn't.

Andy: I have also used Moglice to make a lead screw nut. This was for
the x axis on my South Bend lathe for a cnc conversion. I made a very
big mistake. I chose not to spend the big bucks for the mold release
from Moglice. I used a spray release used for molds. The problem wasn't
in releasing but in clearance. The spray release that I used had no
"thickness". That is, there was zero clearance. Putting oil on it made
it tighter. There wasn't even enough clearance for an oil film. It took
me 2 full days trying to "break it in". A waste of time.Lots of
squealing and heat generation but no loosening. I finally made a
scraping tool and "added some clearance". I was talking to a fellow
that I new was a retired cnc machinist and mentioned to him this Moglice
material. It seems that he was involved with Moglice on a large scale
years ago. The man that owns the company that sells Moglice worked for
him. He took me over to his house to show me photos of some huge
machines that he used Moglice to repair the machine bed. It was over 65
feet long.A machine that flattened a slab of aluminum before it went to
the rollersat the Reynolds plant..Anyway, he told me that Moglice needs
to have lubrication and to give enough clearance for that. He told me
that the release that is used with Moglice builds thickness with each
sprayed on layer and you can control clearance that way.I hope that this
helps.
Carey

Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the

Addresses: