CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and- CPNC UPDATE!

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-10-11 06:19:13 UTC
Tom Caudle wrote:

> I understand your position. I think there are a lot of people in
> this group that are not machinists, do not work in the metal industry
> and want to learn and build machines to just do simple things. Most
> of the parts I turn out in my home shop which is admittedly strickly
> amateur, are for projects that would take longer for me to sit down
> at my CAD system (yes I have one) and draw out than to just do my
> rough sketch and make it. I am not building parts for commercial
> usage. I was under the impression this group was setup for those
> that wanted to have this as a hobby.
>
> Yes, DOS is a lovely OS. It runs with a minimum of overhead, rarely
> locks up or just dies with a blue screen. One of the reasons I want
> to use Windows is that I can put down a Windows program and six weeks
> or six months later fire it up and I don't have to re-learn all the
> commmands. I wanted to be able to use the computers I already have
> running on a small network without changing operating systems. Heck
> all I want is to cut out mud flap covers! Its not fair to expect
> everyone to have to deal with the baggage that some of the more
> complex systems carry when all they want to do is the simple stuff.
> If you were to come to me and ask what I would recommend to you to
> List Manager
.>>

A great lead in to my constant ranting about Conversational CNC. I agree
with you 100%, there are many jobs of the type you describe that are
harder to do with CAD/CAM/Gcode that with a good conversational
package. Also add the kind of repair work where a drwaing doesnt even
exist- making a replacement part for some old machine fro example. Or a
part with some drawing in an old magazine.

I am getting close to having enough of the skeleton of CPNC ready to
post it. I have the main GUI, one mop (machine operation) routine, and a
basic storage module. It has a long way to go, but I think a framework
is there.

Another few days and Ill have something to post.

ron

ron

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2000-10-11 06:19:13 UTC Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and- CPNC UPDATE! wanliker@a... 2000-10-11 07:32:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: What is Cad/ CAM, Controllers and- CPNC UPDATE!