CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Purpose of this group

Posted by Ken Jenkins
on 2000-10-11 11:00:19 UTC
> From: wanliker@...
> Subject: Re: bill's opinion

>> I was under the impression this group was setup for those
>> that wanted to have this as a hobby. >>

> It was actually set up to help those that wanted to build there own CNC. It
> was not designed for the large commercial user, but they are more than
> welcome, especially when they are sharing knowledge. I have read the
> messages in "alt.machines.cnc" and this group was not set up to be a list,
> that most in that group would be interested in.

> It has pretty well become exactly just what it was hoped it would be, a place
> for those that are building there own or wanting to learn how, to share
> ideas, and resources. We are fortunate to have many disciplines represented
> on this group, all freely sharing information. Yes, some are commercial, and
> do make there living with CNC, but they are also the ones that are answering
> questions on how to do it, or how to stay out of trouble.

I've been reading this group for a while and I guess I can sympathize
with both of the views expressed above. Sometimes you do have to "wade
through" some pretty arcane information to get "useful" stuff which
applies to you. For a while I thought the list mailer had screwed up
and started sending me postings from the

GECKOS.GECKOS.WE.LOVE.GECKOS.STEPPERS.SUCK group. :-)

However, every time I've asked a question here I've always gotten a
very helpful, friendly and thorough response. This is a fabulous
resource for those of us trying to get into this CNC thing without
local resources to draw upon.

One thing that would help (warning! statement of the obvious to follow)
is better subject lines. I know it's a simple thing, but more complete
and descriptive subject lines would be a big help in selective reading.
The problem I find with the group is not the type of information, it's
the sheer *volume* of it.

my 2 cents

ken

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2000-10-11 11:00:19 UTC Re: Purpose of this group Bob Campbell 2000-10-11 12:56:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Purpose of this group wanliker@a... 2000-10-11 13:05:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Purpose of this group Ken Jenkins 2000-10-11 14:06:36 UTC Re: Purpose of this group