CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: LPT/XQ Ability Systems question

on 2000-10-12 18:05:42 UTC
Ballendo,

Indexer likes: Reliable. Never a glitch.

Dislikes: Lack of feedrate override, to me that's one of the most
important operator features of a CNC controller. Scary to run a
machine without one.

Also, I was told at time of purchase (1992) that upgrades would
always be free. Apparently that policy has been changed.

Doug

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, ballendo@y... wrote:

(snip)

> IndexerLPT Likes: The ability to run "under" windows. The constant
> vector velocity "queue"(much improved in the window product). The
> complete and clear manual. Pendant functions. Good TECHNICAL
support.
> 6 axis capability.
>
> Dislikes: No backlash compensation. Uses three p-ports to do what
> could be done on one!(OK,maybe 2) When asked why,Art Volta,the
> programmer said it was done for "symmetry"!?! Command names are
> verbose.(ok for some, but I don't type well.) The "native" commands
> use A,B,C,D,E,F as axis names. I'd like x,y,z, and the abc are
> confusing to me if I'm not paying close attention. The DONGLE in
the
> WIN version. Called a HAM(hardware assist module), it is probably a
> result of the aforementioned digital tool situation. Ability was
paid
> for FAR FEWER digital tool s/w pkg's than were shipped!(As I said,
> most of them had no idea indexerLPT was running their machine).
>
> And finally,IMO, suggestions are met with a "take it or leave it,
its
> cheap,whaddya want, we're the experts" attitiude.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo
>
> >Does anyone here have any experience with
> >the LPT/XQ (Windows) or LPT (DOS) indexer
> >programs from Ability Systems? I'm especially
> >interested in how conversions go between whatever
> >you're using for design to the LPT code which
> >is apparently proprietary.

Discussion Thread

Ken Jenkins 2000-10-12 14:08:43 UTC LPT/XQ Ability Systems question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-10-12 14:38:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LPT/XQ Ability Systems question ballendo@y... 2000-10-12 17:43:24 UTC re: LPT/XQ Ability Systems question dougrasmussen@c... 2000-10-12 18:05:42 UTC Re: LPT/XQ Ability Systems question Bob Campbell 2000-10-12 18:33:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LPT/XQ Ability Systems question ballendo@y... 2000-10-12 20:07:27 UTC re:Re: LPT/XQ Ability Systems question