CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Buying vs Building, was: Casting clearance

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-10-13 06:01:37 UTC
Tim Goldstein wrote:

> I am not saying you should buy everything. What I am saying is that if you
> are going to build do it right from the beginning and invest in the tools
> and materials needed. I am a big proponent of building my own solutions.
> But, I have learned that the project goes faster, is more enjoyable and has
> a better chance for success is I am not penny wise and pound foolish about
> it.

Another way of looking at this is that we need to decide just how far
back the chain do we need to MAKE. I am quite content to use steel
someone else 'makes', I feel no urge to mine my own ore. Im also willing
to use lots of components, sometimes even whole machines that I cobble
up to do something else.

But in the end, anything that causes me to own more tools is a good
thing :-)

Now that I look back at the various steps Ive made in this quest of home
shop CNC, I have 'wasted' a lot of time and money along the way, but it
was the right thing to do at the time and place. If I had the total
ammount of money Ive spent on surplus motors, drivers, chips, power
supplies, etc in one pocket now I could buy a much nicer package, but I
have to look at the pieces as the cost of learning.

This list is a great way to learn, and I have now skipped several
lessons I might have paid for because someone else has been there and
reported it here.

ron ginger

Discussion Thread

Tim Goldstein 2000-10-12 15:57:59 UTC Buying vs Building, was: Casting clearance Ron Ginger 2000-10-13 06:01:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Buying vs Building, was: Casting clearance ballendo@y... 2000-10-13 12:59:02 UTC Re: Buying vs Building, was: Casting clearance