CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Subject: 5-Axis with EMC ?

Posted by Ray
on 2000-10-17 14:42:33 UTC
Welcome Peter

Comments mixed in.

> From: PMeinhard@...
> Hello Everybody
>
> Thank You Dan , the "EMC in 10 Minutes CD" workes fine , but I have some
> questions, perhaps someone can help me.
> At the moment I am building my own 5-Axis mill. I would like to use EMC (the
> software is great- the most professional I have ever seen affordabel for
> privat use) for it , but is EMC able to interpolate 5 Axis simultan ?
> somewhere in all those Readme and help-Files I read something about " 3 axis
> simultan" But if a hexapod workes , 5 axis should be possible.

Yes the motor stuff is good for 6 axis motion and will drive the hexapod
in x, y, z. The G-code interpreter is also written to accept and process 6
axis of motion. The bottleneck, IMO is in the motion planning software
and that is a work in process. Several folk, myself included are building
four or more axis milling machines in anticipation of the new motion
planner.

> Somewhere I read that the Output -frequency for Steppers is limitid to
about > 5 KHz. Is that wright and is there no possibility to speed it up.?

Well I've seen speeds up to 10k on my bench but this is one limit that
you will bump up against. There is a trade off between rapid feedrate and
resolution. I only use microstepping so I don't have serious resonance
problems and that limits me to something like 80-100 IPM.

> The software I usually worke with in DINCNC and that goes up to 80KHz on my
> computer. Is this limit also for Servo-Motors ?

Jon Elson, and another EE from this list are testing some external
parallel port boards that will drive steppers at a much higher frequency.
Word on the price/availability of these should be comming along soon.

> What have I to do to get the 4th and 5th axis on the screen when I enabled
> them in the Sim.ini (EMC.ini) file ?

I wrote a tkemc four axis gui that should be downloadable from
linuxcnc.org/Dropbox. You can do a manual jog on the fourth axis but no
mdi or auto for that.

My advice is that you should go ahead and build it. When you get the
mechanical and motors ready, post a note to emc@... that reads,
"Where's my five axis version."

As folk a bit to the north of you often say, "tcheus."

Ray

Discussion Thread

Ray 2000-10-17 14:42:33 UTC Re: Subject: 5-Axis with EMC ?