CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Digest Number 79

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-07-06 02:00:56 UTC
Message: 7
Date: 4 Jul 1999 20:27:58 -0000
From: rgbrown@...
Subject: Just watching for now....

Greetings,

I thought I should be letting you good folks know a little about what I do.
My primary interest is the use of CNC controls for automating repetitive
operations and making parts.

I am in the process of building the forms for a wooden hulled runabout. I
will use this CNC equipment to cut the parts and pieces.

I built a ShopBot last year. I have a 50" x 218" cutting area. As mine is
a cable drive unit, I will be converting to gear drive soon. On thing I am
considering is using Gates belting in lieu of the gear rack.

[I'd like to hear how you're getting along with the Shopbot. (It certainly
seems like a big one.) Is the accuracy sufficient for your needs? Do you
get smooth curves, or are they wavy? Is it difficult to get something that
writes the appropriate code for it? I'd heard they were going to introduce
software that let it use standard G-code- have they sent anything about
that to you? Is there anything you've been able to do about the limited
z-depth, or is it not a problem for you?]

I also plan on converting a mill and a lathe to CNC. I have a Dan Mauch
bipolar board but it is not assembled. I have a few 130 oz/in 34 size
steppers and may build around them.

[What sort of mill do you have? I've got a project like this in the works
as well, but am still pondering the alternatives. Lately I've been
wondering if I can retain the original servo control system, which has some
useful features and seems to work, and switch back and forth from a more
modern controller, depending on what I'm planning to do. Anybody ever tried
this?]

I am now looking at several design programs for boats. I have looked at
NeWave sys. and am thinking about Rhino. Rhino would be more versatile, I
think.

[I've been very impressed by Rhino's continuing evolution. I don't think
there's any program that allows you to do such complex things as easily.
There's a shipwright named Eric Jolley who's been using it for a while-
<emjd@...> and was contributing a lot to their listserv in their beta
days- you might ask him how it is helpful for what he does. Some of the
Rhino commands are taken directly from shipwright lingo- things like "loft"
and "fair" .]

The learning curve on any new software is challenging. I use VisualCADD
for 2D layout and will probably stay with it. I may buy the new Turbo CAD
v6 and try to learn 3D or might try Rhino. Any suggestions?

[I thought Turbo-Cad was shareware- or is this just the earlier versions?
But you can't go wrong with Rhino- especially when you get it at my special
price...]

Well, I'll have more comments after I finish reading the archives, I'm in
the middle of May now - and confused.

Ron

[Good Luck!]

Andrew Werby

Andrew Werby - United Artworks
Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
http://unitedartworks.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-07-06 02:00:56 UTC Re: Digest Number 79