CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Cad File Formats (was programing a DRO)

on 1999-07-07 13:21:42 UTC
Matt,

If you want to write file to G code converter, you may want to look at using
a .PLT file.

I am getting ready to write a VBA program for AlphaCam using a .plt file as
the input.

A lot of users use Corel Draw for their artistic drawings. The .plt file
output is just a bunch of small straight lines. The pen up (PU) command
would be your rapid move G0. The PD commands would be your G01 moves.

Now what you may want to do If you are using VB is to look at the data and
see if you could convert any of the series of straight lines into curves or
circles.

The next thing that you will need to do is to display the drawing in VB and
move the drawing to a new 0,0 point. From what I have seen in Corel, the
center of the page is their 0,0 point.

Once you get everything into a series of vectors, you can apply a radius
(cutter) offset. You could also let the user choose the number of passes
that they want to cut through the material.

Bob Campbell