CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: How to scrape lathe ways

Posted by dave engvall
on 2000-10-26 21:16:31 UTC
"Terry L. Ridder" wrote:

> hello;
>
> i have had success using .5 or 1.0 inch plate glass
> for an economical surface plate.

Standard plate glass is supposed to be flat to about 20 wavelengths of green light or 20 times 520 nm which I would consider a good
start. :-)

If you need it flatter your local library or amatuer telescope maker can provide advice.

AFIK one starts reconditioning a lathe bed by cleaning it up with a planer ( LONG shaper ) and then goes from there. Century Lathes
are (were) made locally and the shop still has a big planer for beds. Pretty pricey though. I think they did a 7' bed a couple of
years ago for about a $100/ft. Too rich for my blood.

Dave

Discussion Thread

dave engvall 2000-10-26 21:16:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[1]: How to scrape lathe ways