CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Upgrading to CNC

Posted by Smoke
on 2000-10-27 16:15:39 UTC
What I mean is what's required in the way of hardware, software, etc.

Here's what it looks like to me:
Zero backlash ball screw assemblies,
Some kind of motors to drive them.
Brackets for mounting the above...I can make those from home made castings and/or weldments.
Controllers and Drivers for the motors
A cabinet to mount some of this electrical stuff?
Software
A computer. I'd network this with my other machines so's I could do "test runs" from in the house using laplink or PC Anywhere.
What else would I need...besides instructions for putting it all together?

BTW....I have a 9 x 49 knee mill...bought new about 6 years ago from MSC. It's a 3HP Varispeed machine.

Hope this helps?

Smoke

-----Original Message-----
From: ballendo@... <ballendo@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Date: Friday, October 27, 2000 4:52 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Upgrading to CNC

Smoke wrote:
>It would be nice is someone would post a sketch or two and a list of
>what is required to upgrade a standard knee mill to 3 or 4 axis CNC
>milling controlled by a PC.
>With a good sketch and a list of required components, I'd know what
>to go comparison shopping for.

Smoke,

Just what IS standard??? What most everyone who gets into this finds
is that there are MANY small(often significant) differences between
these "standard" knee mills. Even within one brand!

There have been a few "retro-fit" articles (I recall one in Home Shop
Machinist) in recent years.

Post what you've got, and what you're looking to do, and probably
someone on the list has info.

Ballendo

P.S. I answered a question like this recently (a private email) and
found it VERY difficult since so much of "what works" is an
individual thing. The mechanicals(ballscrews/nuts) are pretty easy to
agree upon, but the choices from there are so many...
steppers/servos/drives/software/sizes/speeds/user interface/
toolpath...

It's really why this list exists,IMO.

eGroups Sponsor

Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the discussion of shop built systems, for CAD, CAM, EDM, and DRO.