CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Smithy Lathe/Mill/Drill

Posted by beer@s...
on 2000-11-01 10:45:03 UTC
On 1 Nov, CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com wrote:
> Subject: Smithy Lathe/Mill/Drill
>
> Has anyone out there ever done any CNC modifications for these
> machines...or know anything about them? They are available now as
> "cnc" ready. You can purchase optional CNC packages (including
> fourth axis control) for them but I doubt if it controls the Z axis.
> This looks like a really interesting machine. The lathe would make a
> great "replacement" for my existing lathe ...well maybe an add on
> :)... for my barrel work and I'd be able to do my wax pattern
> machining and possibly small mold manufacturing on it too.

At least one model of Smithy is very similar to a Shoptask, which
several of us have converted quite easily and quite successfully to
CNC. So certainly, it bears continued investigation.

Let me add a couple of other points.

1. It is astonishing to me the change that CNC has made to my time in
the shop. Parts that were so complicated I would never consider trying
to make them, I now don't even think about. Parts I would expect to
have to make two or three of before getting a "mistake-free" part now
usually come out first time.

2. A real problem with the small machines is rigidity. That's largely
solvable by simply taking LOTS of small cuts. Unfortunately, that gets
OLD in a hurry. CNC allows you to assign repetitive boring tasks to
the computer.

Alan

--

Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the
Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are.

Discussion Thread

beer@s... 2000-11-01 10:45:03 UTC Re: Smithy Lathe/Mill/Drill beer@s... 2000-11-01 12:45:48 UTC Re: Smithy Lathe/Mill/Drill