CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[2]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2000-11-06 22:36:32 UTC
"Terry L. Ridder" wrote:
> emc does *_not_* have a highly graphic toolpath/
> part graphic generating abilities.

To paraphrase another fellow, "It depends on what the meaning of highly
is". There is the backplotter, and it's better than almost all
commercial controls.

> isa slots are being replaced by usb and firewire devices.
> there are usb parallel port devices but i know of no
> testing to see if they will work well enough to control
> a cnc machine. the main problem being that usb is
> non-deterministic.

USB is a dead end for the reason you state, but PCI bus parallel port
cards work just fine with the EMC (I particularly like the ones by
SIIG). Firewire looks really good, but that's the great uncharted
frontier.

Matt

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-11-06 22:10:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[2]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions Matt Shaver 2000-11-06 22:36:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[2]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions Wally K 2000-11-07 00:38:05 UTC Re: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions