CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: virtual hand jive

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-11-07 00:11:37 UTC
Hi,

I suspect that the answer here could be that pressing buttons could be
a:) less precise than handwheels as it may be deemed easier to overshoot...
b:) more frustrating as any overshoot would have to be corrected which,
depending on the delay between pressing the button and the machine
responding, could require several attempts to get the position absolutely
correct and
c:) frustrating in waiting for a move to be completed as the movement of the
machine would be dependent on the 'repeat speed' of the control button. This
would have to be set at a level which would take into account the delay
between pressing the button and the machine moving.

Personally, I also would not favour 'electronic' handwheels for similar
reasons although they would be preferable to buttons as the operator has
more control over speed of movement and more of a feeling of actual control
by the angle of rotation of the wheel.

While I admit to little contact with cnc machines so far - really only
limited to a few weeks messing about in a military aircraft factory - I
would definitely favour retention of the facility to move the table about
mechanically. I don't see the handwheels being a safety issue as they could
be of the type on (or rather not on) my antique miller which are removable
and fit on a square on the end of the leadscrews (actually the 'handwheels'
here take the form of one large crank handle which is often mislaid and is
usually replaced by a 1/2" drive ratchet handle!). I assume that, if the
power is removed from the stepper or servo system, the tables would be free
to move using a mechanical handwheel?

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright