CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[5]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions

Smoke wrote:

> Only 200 facets? I'm wanting to do bas relief carving using REALLY SMALL
> (some as small as .005" diameter) end mills to get the detail I need. I
> hope all the software I wind up purchasing will accomplish this!

Well, if you want to do it automatically, then Bobcad/CAM may not be the
correct choice. If the facets or other separate details are in some regular
arrangement (like a whole bunch of small rectangles that make up a circular
hole in the part) then you might be able to group them together and have
Bobcad handle them as one surface to machine. But, if it is just a jumble of
lines, you would have to instruct Bobcad what to do, line by line.

Bobcad/CAM works a lot better if you build the CAD drawing right in
Bobcad, and then use that to create the toolpath. If the DXF is just a
guide, and you will use Bobcad to create smooth surfaces from those
guide features, then it will work fine. That is what I did with the DXF file
that I was successful in using for my friend.

Smoke 2000-11-07 10:21:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[5]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions Jon Elson 2000-11-07 12:29:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[5]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions Smoke 2000-11-07 12:40:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[5]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions Jon Elson 2000-11-07 16:11:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re[5]: EMC, Linux, RTlinux, General Questions