CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Resolution or changing Milling bits? MDX-3 Vs MAXNC-10:

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2000-11-10 08:17:55 UTC
ballendo@... wrote:

> The mill is a BEAST. Very sturdy construction. Not sure I like ALL
> the design choices but...

I've not seen more than pictures of the Taig, and it largely looks like
something someone might make in their garage instead of a commercial
product. But my gut feeling is that it's a far better platform to start
with than the MaxNC. Max's greatest virtues are out of the box and
running very quickly, and relatively low cost for a turnkey package.
Limitations can be plentiful, depending upon what you try to do with it,
and how quickly you try to do it. I've machined 304SS on my Max, but it
wasn't fun at all. Delrin and Ultem are a breeze.

Do look into the Taig, and ask if they offer a thread-on solid tool
holder like Sherline, and if not, will the Sherline holders fit.
Tool length offsets are pretty useless if you cannot quickly change
tools to known, repeatable lengths. This isn't as important if you never
plan to make more than one of something, but constantly setting a tool
offset when making more than one part will get old quickly.

Jon Anderson 2000-11-10 08:17:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Resolution or changing Milling bits? MDX-3 Vs MAXNC-10: