CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Encoder mounting

Posted by jmw@c...
on 2000-11-14 12:41:29 UTC
The Marshall-Nordec supercharger drive on my '52 uses this type of
coupler. I've come across quite a few working on vintage cars. Often
the coupling disk is leather--obviously not a good choice for this
application. It does seem that with the right choice of coupling
material wind-up could be more or less eliminated.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Heuver, Brad (B.R.)"
<bheuver@f...> wrote:
> I looked a bit further at the encoder mounting on the P&W last
> night. The coupling used looks to be a bit easier for the HSM to
fabricate
> than some described here, the helical coupler, in particular.
> There is a standard solid coupling on each end, one on the
shaft of
> the ball screw, one on the encoder. In between the two is a one
inch square
> piece of brass shim stock that looked to be about 0.005" thick or
so. The
> square of brass was fixed to one coupler by two rivets on opposite
corners
> of the square. The other two corners were fixed, in the same
manner, to the
> other coupler. The rivets themselves gave the square a slight
standoff from
> the couplers, about 1/8". This space would allow the axis of the
two shafts
> to be off a bit, which will result in the flexing of the brass
square shim
> stock in the axial plane, while still being very stiff to rotation.
> After seeing it, I remembered seeing many of these in the
past, some
> with multiple stacked squares, each fixed to the opposite corners
of the one
> next to it. The stack, obviously, to take a greater misalignment
than a
> single square. I think that this style mount may be the best
(easiest to
> make) for the HSM on this list.
>
> Brad Heuver

Discussion Thread