CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: motor sizing

Posted by Wally K
on 2000-11-14 13:03:54 UTC
Hi Richard, just shooting from the hip it seems you are under
powered. I have a feeling most people would use at least 400oz/in or
more for a project like this.

Also the thru hole stepper is a poor chioce. When it starts to ware
out you must replace the stepper motor.

There are many people on this list that have built routers like you
want to build. Hopefully they will give you some advice.

Wally K.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Richard Spelling" <richard@s...>
wrote:
> I'm building a 60"x60"x6" light duty cnc router table. I'll be
using
> thompson linear rails and bearings, the y axis should weigh around
> 45lb.
>
> The linear actuators I've bought produce 45lb max linear thrust.
They
> are nema 23, draw 1.5 amps, probably 65-100oz/in of torque, with a
> leadscrew going through the center of the motor, with 16 turns per
> inch, giving 3200 steps per inch.
>
> Are these motors to light weight for this application? Or, will
they
> work, but just not as fast as higher powered motors would?
>
> From what I've read on the 'Net, these seem to be in the ballpark.
> Any practical experience any of you want to share?
>
> Richard Spelling, http://www.spellingbusiness.com/boats
> From the muddy waters of Oklahoma

Discussion Thread

Richard Spelling 2000-11-14 12:42:05 UTC motor sizing Wally K 2000-11-14 13:03:54 UTC Re: motor sizing