CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: shaft coupling was Encoder mounting

Posted by ballendo@y...
on 2000-11-14 15:03:13 UTC
Brad wrote:
>I looked a bit further at the encoder mounting on the P&W last
>night. The coupling used looks to be a bit easier for the HSM to
>fabricate than some described here, the helical coupler, in
>particular. There is a standard solid coupling on each end, one on
>the shaft of the ball screw, one on the encoder. In between the two
>is a one inch square piece of brass shim stock that looked to be
>about 0.005" thick or so. The square of brass was fixed to one
>coupler by two rivets on opposite corners of the square.

Brad, and list,

I have used a slew of these over the years. With 2 differences. Mine
have TWO sets of flexible "squares" with a middle connecting ring.
This allows more angular offset to be accomodated. The second
difference is that the solid couplings at each end were "slotted" so
that the rivets were on a "post". This also will allow more angular
variation between ends. The ones I bought(used) came with fiberglas
shafts in one end. I was told they were used for adjusting pots in a
radio setup (to reduce the effect of capacitance).

I agree, these would be easy to fabricate.

Ballendo

Discussion Thread

ballendo@y... 2000-11-14 15:03:13 UTC RE: shaft coupling was Encoder mounting