CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digitizing arm

Posted by Hugh Prescott
on 2000-11-15 06:25:11 UTC
Exactly how the presidents were carved in the black hills only they used a
beam that pivoted on a point above and in back of the head for the X axis.

Hugh

----- Original Message -----
From: Rick Dulas <drspiff@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2000 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digitizing arm

> Howdy! This is an idea I've been fascinated with for a long time, but I
keep running up against the problem of tip offset. Somehow
> you have to keep the normal to the surface at all times, but it is soluble
since somebody is making money at it. <G> At the
> Auburn-Cord-Dusenburg Museum in Auburn Indiana, they have the clay model
that was used for the 812 Cord. While I could rhapsodize
> about the car, the method they used to loft the prints was way too cool.
>
> Picture a gantry on parallel tracks aligned with the long axis of the car.
The X is the movement along these tracks. The Y is the
> travel along the bridge of the gantry and the Z is a rod that is dropped
from the Y cradle down to the surface of the clay model.
> Very much like the CNC router that someone on the list has. It was
accurate enough in the 30's to go from a 1/12th scale clay model
> to full size plans with no mockup in between.
>
> How's that for agile manufacturing? <G> On a relatively small scale you
could use the guts out of a wide carriage dot matrix printer
> for the X & Y and a servo/encoder in the Z to drive some sort of sensor up
and down to sense the surface. Maybe an IR