CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: preferred version of EMC

r_fl_z@... wrote:

> Give up the details. Does some sort of reliability matrix for common
> hardware exist? Any support for choosing known stable hardware?
> Particularly for the common denominator hardware, i.e. chipset combos
> and video boards?

Absolutely! On the Red Hat site, or at the main Linux site, there
are documents called the hardware compatibility lists. They are
specific to sections of the system, ie. disks, motherboards, video
cards, etc. You really need to check every card against these lists.
The video cards are the worst mess, because the chipsets are what
is really supported, and the boards are made my garage shops in
Taiwan, and the names on the board are meaningless, in many cases.

> I plan to protect the EMC environment by dedicating the machine to
> control only. I won't risk the interaction of additional processor
> tasks.

I have networking running (very useful to move tool programs from the
CAD machine) and use emacs and command line programs while the
CNC system is running with absolutely no problems at all.

Jon Elson 2000-11-15 23:07:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] preferred version of EMC r_fl_z@h... 2000-11-16 00:30:35 UTC Re: preferred version of EMC r_fl_z@h... 2000-11-16 03:46:22 UTC Re: preferred version of EMC Hugh Currin 2000-11-16 08:10:08 UTC Re: preferred version of EMC Jon Elson 2000-11-16 12:08:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: preferred version of EMC