CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: tantalum caps wasRe: emc success

ballendo@... wrote:

> Mariss writes:
> >Tantalum capacitors blow up very readily due to their very low
> >internal resistance (ESR).<snip>
>
> Mariss,
>
> Do you agree with Jon E that their(tantalum caps) use should be
> avoided ?

Well, I have seen a fair bit of trouble with them. They were, for a
long time, the only choice in military systems, due to temperature
requirements. I have seen several systems with big holes burned
in the circuit boards by failed Tantalum caps. I have also replaced
a bunch of bad caps, especially in equipment that had been left
off for a few years, and then restarted.

Since aluminum electrolytics will handle the large value needs at
the temperatures we normally run stuff at, and multilayer ceramic
will handle the low value end, there really is no need for tantalum
in commercial temp range equipment.

ballendo@y... 2000-11-20 15:55:05 UTC re: tantalum caps wasRe: emc success Mike's tech toys 2000-11-20 16:25:22 UTC Re: tantalum caps wasRe: emc success Mariss Freimanis 2000-11-20 17:39:25 UTC tantalum caps wasRe: emc success Wally K 2000-11-20 18:13:27 UTC tantalum caps wasRe: emc success Mariss Freimanis 2000-11-20 18:22:30 UTC tantalum caps wasRe: emc success Jon Elson 2000-11-20 21:47:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re: tantalum caps wasRe: emc success