CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Cutting speeds

Posted by Jon Anderson
on 2000-11-26 18:48:31 UTC
Ian,

Hope your dental burrs are the carbide variety and not HSS, and are very
sharp. I've worked with just a bit of titanium. It's tough and gummy,
and will eat dull tools alive. Titanium transfers heat poorly, thus even
a slightly dull tool will cause a greater heat buildup than you might
suspect, which can quickly escalate until your tool is glowing red or
breaks.
Be aware that dental burrs are designed for very light chip loads.
Materials that don't transfer heat well generally require higher chip
loads (depth of cut per tooth) than materials that do tranfer heat well.
I'd try light cuts depth-wise, and try not to move too slowly.
I've used MolyDee as a lube on Ti, but not sure that's the best.
Good luck!

Jon